Open Forum Radio – Episode 470
OFR Season 10 (Episode 38) – Video Games to Blame?
Thursday, August 16th 2019 9:57 EST
Introduction & Roll Call: TMO, Larry, Whiskey’s Chair, Derek’s Chair, Vladz, Knox
(Feedback at OFRfeedback@gmail.com)
- OFR would like to thank Josh ( aka @xEtrnlSoulx ) for guesting on the OFR 469
- It is NOT video games that makes people do stupid things and hurt other people
- Walmart taking down violent video game demos, displays Signs, displays containing “violent images or aggressive behavior” removed in wake of shootings; retailer still sells guns
- ESPN, ABC pull Apex Legends tournament show in the wake of mass shootings Broadcasters say decision was made “out of respect for the victims”
- Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick has joined those speaking out against comments made by US president Donald Trump last week suggesting that a string of recent US shootings were linked to the existence of violent video games. The truth is that it’s disrespectful to the victims and the families to point the finger at entertainment.
- But video games are still the scapegoat, the old Violent Video Games trope gets blamed by one group while others it is only the gun that is the problem.
- President Trump’s proposal to “stop the glorification of violence in our society.” “This includes the gruesome and grisly video games that are now commonplace,” he said in a national address. “It is too easy today for troubled youth to surround themselves with a culture that celebrates violence. We must stop or substantially reduce this, and it has to start immediately.”
- Dem candidates blame Trump, NRA for guns
- But there are deaths sadly every day that they can’t link to guns that barely get the attention, too many to list.
- Politicians Blame Gaming for Shootings AGAIN
- Crazy products you can’t buy yet… but would you even want to?
- Another Switch? No…. how about a Xbox handheld! Microsoft patent reveals controllers to transform smartphones into handheld Xbox
- But Switch is looking at a “new” controller SNES wireless controllers for the Switch
- Getting HYPE on new console graphics The PS5 and Xbox Scarlett will let developers make games with graphics that look better than ever. “We’re going to reach a point where you won’t be able to tell the difference between what’s created in the computer and what’s real,” – Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick +
Our World (Top Things you saw, heard or played) Aquaman, Talk w/ Daughter, Euphoria Gears 4, Father of the Year, Puppy!
Shout-outs: 😎 🖕 OFR Family, our Families & friends 🖕 😎